The Quest to Find Cayman's Most Talented Amateur Chef
Amateur chefs are invited to compete "Top Chef" style in a series of competitions held at Bon Vivant. Finalists then face-off at the Bon Vivant Cook-Off
Brunch on Sunday, 19 January. The winner to be decided by celebrity chef judges Eric Ripert, Anthony Bourdain, and José Andrés.
This competition is open to Caymanian and local residents. Only NON-Professional Chefs may
participate. A "Non Professional Chef" precludes current or former industry professionals that hold/
held the title of Chef (including sous chef, chef de cuisines, assistant chef, head chef, etc…).
The competition will consist of three phases:
Phase One – ENTRY SUBMISSIONS
Request for submission of an entrée recipe for four portions, including a picture.
A local panel of culinary industry professionals will select eight amateurs to participate in a live
- Applications accepted: 1 - 31 October, 2013
- Eight Cheftestants announced: Wednesday, 6 November, 2013 at 4:30 p.m.
Phase Two – PRELIMINARY COMPETITION
Elimination challenge Cook-Off held at Bon Vivant to determine the two finalists.
- Contestant #1 vs. Contestant #2 (Tuesday, 19 November 4:30 p.m.-6:00 p.m.)
- Contestant #3 vs. Contestant #4 (Tuesday, 19 November 6:30 p.m.-8:00 p.m.)
- Contestant #5 vs. Contestant #6 (Wednesday, 20 November 4:30 p.m.-6:00 p.m.)
- Contestant #7 vs. Contestant #8 (Wednesday, 20 November 6:30 p.m.-8:00 p.m.)
- Pre-Qualifier Cheftestant #1 vs. Pre-Qualifier Cheftestant #2 (Wednesday, 11 December 6:00 p.m.-7:30 p.m.)
- Pre-Qualifier Cheftestant #3 vs. Pre-Qualifier Cheftestant #4 (Thursday, 12 December 6:00 p.m.-7:30 p.m.)
Phase Three – ROUND 3 / FINALS
Two Cheftestants/finalists will compete in front of panel of celebrity judges during the 2014 Cayman
Cookout Bon Vivant Taittinger Champagne Brunch on Sunday, 19 January, 2014 from Noon -
3:00 p.m. to determine the winner of the Cayman Cookout 2014 Bon Vivant Cook-Off series.
Winner will receive a trip for two to the FOOD & WINE Best New Chef Event in New York City;
airfare provided by Cayman Airways, hotel provided by The Ritz-Carlton, and lunch at Le Bernardin.
- Recipe submission either via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or return application to the Bon Vivant store by
Thursday, 31 October at 5:00 p.m.
- Entries submitted via email will receive a receipt confirmation.
- Submission must include:
- An entrée recipe based on four portions
- The dish must contain some local/Caribbean ingredient(s).
- A picture of the proposed recipe fully cooked and plated must be included with submission.
- A panel of culinary industry professionals will then select eight finalists on Wednesday, 6 November, 2013 at
4:30 p.m. in a live announcement and kick-off event held at Bon Vivant.
- Submissions are judged upon: use of local ingredients, recipe originality, presentation, and taste.
- Selected Cheftestants will be invited to participate in an elimination style Cook-Off at Bon Vivant. First rounds
are scheduled for 19 & 20 November, 2013 and additional elimination rounds on 11 & 12 of December, 2013 to
determine the 2 finalists.
- During the Cook-Off Cheftestants will need to prepare four portions of the submitted recipe.
- Cheftestants will be allowed to bring one non-professional assistant.
- Cheftestants will be required to purchase all food with the exception of some basics that will be available in
the Bon Vivant kitchen.
- All food must be prepared on site, in front of judges; no beforehand prep allowed.
- Bon Vivant will supply basic utensils and equipment. Cheftestants are encouraged to visit Bon Vivant in
advance. The Cheftestant will be allowed to bring additional plates utensils and equipment as needed.
- 60 minutes to execute/cook and plate; Cheftestants will need to present four plates simultaneously, two will
be used for tasting by the judges and two will be used for audience tasting.
- Each Cook-Off will feature two Cheftestants cooking at the same time in front of a live audience and a panel
- The judges will score each contestant and his/her dish on the following criteria:
Taste: 0-25 points | Use of Local Ingredient(s): 0-15 points | Recipe Originality: 0-10 points
Presentation: 0-5 points | Timely Execution: 0-5 points
For every one minute over the 60 minutes allowed, one point will be deducted from overall total score.
- Cheftestants that go over the timeframe by 15 minutes will be disqualified.
- Penalties will be applied to Cheftestants not adhering to rules and regulations.