Cheftestant information for the 2013 Bon Vivant Cook-off Series
This competition is open to Caymanian and local residents; Only NON professional chefs may participate (this also precludes former industry professionals that are either retired or do not work in the industry anymore to enter this competition).
The competition will consist of three phases:
Phase One – ENTRY SUBMISSIONS
Request for submission of an entrée recipe for 4 portions, including a picture. A local panel of chefs and restaurateurs will select 8 amateurs to participate in a live Cook-Off.
- Applications accepted: 1 - 31 October, 2012
- Eight Cheftestants announced: Tuesday, 13 November, 2012 at Bon Vivant from 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Phase Two – PRELIMINARY COMPETITION
Elimination challenge Cook-Off held at Bon Vivant to determine the two final Cheftestants.
- Maureen Cubbon vs. Megan Timmons (Tuesday, 4 December 4:30 p.m.-6:00 p.m.)
- Sarah Bourke vs. Jacqueline Hastings (Tuesday, 4 December 6:30 p.m.-8:00 p.m.)
- Marty Tammemagi vs. Cody Bush (Wednesday, 5 December 4:30 p.m.-6:00 p.m.)
- Emily DeCou vs. Michael Treacy (Wednesday, 5 December 6:30 p.m.-8:00 p.m.)
- Pre-Qualifier Cheftestant #1 vs. Pre-Qualifier Cheftestant #2 (Tuesday, 11 December 6:00 p.m.-7:30 p.m.)
- Pre-Qualifier Cheftestant #3 vs. Pre-Qualifier Cheftestant #4 (Wednesday, 12 December 6:00 p.m.-7:30 p.m.)
Phase Three – ROUND 3 / FINALS
Two Cheftestants/finalists will compete in front of panel of celebrity judges during the 2013 Cayman Cookout Bon Vivant Champagne Brunch on Sunday, 20 January, 2013 from Noon-3:00 p.m. to determine the winner of the Cayman Cookout 2013 Bon Vivant Cook-Off Series.
To be determined.
- Applications will be available and accepted 1-31 October, 2012.
- Recipe submission either via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or return application to the Bon Vivant store by Wednesday, 31 October at 5:00 p.m.
- Submission must include:
- An entrée recipe based on four portions
- The dish must contain some local/Caribbean ingredient
- A picture of the proposed recipe fully cooked and plated must be included
- A panel of local restaurateurs and chefs will then select eight finalists on Thursday, 22 November, 2012 at 5:30 p.m. in a live announcement and kick-off event held at Bon Vivant.
- Selected Cheftestants will be invited to participate in an elimination style Cook-Off at Bon Vivant. First rounds are scheduled for 4 & 5 December, 2012 and additional elimination rounds on 11 & 12 of December, 2012 to determine the two finalists.
- During the Cook-Off the Cheftestants will need to prepare four portions of the submitted recipe.
- Cheftestants will be allowed to bring one non-professional assistant to help with minor tasks and preparations only.
- Cheftestants will be required to purchase all food with the exception of some basics that will be available in the Bon Vivant kitchen.
- Cheftestants will be allowed to bring basic stocks prepared in advance.
- Bon Vivant will supply basic utensils and equipment. The Cheftestant will be allowed to bring additional plates utensils and equipment as needed.
- The Cheftestants will be given fifteen minutes to prepare and organize their cooking area and forty-five minutes to execute/cook their dish.
- Each Cook-Off will feature two Cheftestants cooking at the same time in front of a live audience and a panel of four (minimum) judges.
- All preparation and cooking of the submitted recipe needs to be completed in the sixty minutes allowed.
- At the conclusion of the sixty minutes the Cheftestants will need to present four plates; two will be used for tasting by the judges and two will be used for presentation to the judges and the audience.
The judges will score each contestant and his/her dish on the following criteria:
- Originality of Recipe: 0-10 points | Presentation: 0-10 points
- Showmanship & Skill: 0-10 points | Taste: 0-10 points
- An additional 10 points will be awarded automatically for a timely execution of the dish.
- For every 1 minute over the 60 minutes allowed, one point will be deducted.
- Cheftestants that go over the time frame by 15 minutes will be disqualified.